The problem with genres....
Well, maybe not exactly a problem. Perhaps it's more of a possible confusion. You see, some books do not clearly find themselves fitting into just one genre. Take Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series for example. The books in this series are a mixture of fantasy, romance, thriller, action, or any of several other subgenre labels you might apply.
As a reader, you need to be aware that some books just defy exclusive classification. But what a great opportunity to read something that could fit into several categories! Maybe you'll discover a new direction for your reading enjoyment or, at the very least, broaden your experience with different types of books.
Choosing a Book
Unless you have a favorite author or are working your way through a series, choosing a book to enjoy can sometimes be a difficult task. Here are some points to consider as you make your selection:
- cover - Does it give you a clue about the storyline?
- number of pages - Is it too long?
- blurb - Read the inside of the book jacket or the back of the book.
- excerpt - Sample a page in the book to see if it is readable.
- reviews - Are there comment by other writers about the book?
- recommendations - Did any of your friends suggest it.